Friday 12 July 2013

A Big Girl Bed


I remember being pregnant with Syd and chatting with my sister about what was to come in having a baby.  I distinctly remember her telling me to enjoy every last ounce of sleep before the baby was born because once I was a mother, I would never sleep the same again.

This was puzzling to me.  Surely I understood that a newborn would keep me up at night for a period of time but there would come a day when I would drop like a rock into bed and sleep for ten solid hours like I had for the first 34 years of my life, right?

Wrong.  Dead wrong.  It took Sydney three long years to sleep through the night and even now that she does, I wake up several times in the night always listening for her and wondering if she's okay.  I have the feeling that even when she's 16, I'll be doing the same.

So during those three long sleepless years, in my altered state of consciousness, and out of sheer exhaustion, I hauled Sydney into bed with Paul and I to sleep, where she stayed until about two weeks ago.

I finally decided that enough was enough and that she was getting her own bed.  So off to Sleep Country Canada I went and bought her what I thought was the most comfortable bed that money could buy.

I had no great hopes of her sleeping in her bed on her own, or at all, to be honest.  You can imagine my sheer joy when the bed arrived and she jumped into it, pulled her little duvet cover over herself and snuggled up, so happy to have her own sleeping space!


She has been in her own bed ever since.  Turns out that the first bed I got wasn't exactly the most comfortable for poor Mom when lying down with her too get her to sleep, a little too soft for the old back!  So we exchanged it for the Heavenly Bed (those of you who have stayed at the Westin know what I mean!) and we're back in business.

I ordered some Hello Kitty and Dora sheets for Syd, as promised and promptly put them on her bed, then covered them up with a new duvet and cover from Pottery Barn Kids along with a personalized pillow for her, which she loves!


It is positively dreamy sleeping in bed without a toddler wedged in between us!  Everyone is sleeping better, it's amazing!  Hooray for the big girl and her new bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment