Thursday 1 December 2011

Uncle John


I just received news that my Dad's brother, my Uncle John, passed away yesterday after suffering a stroke a few days ago.  My Uncle John was a very special man.  He was one of the oldest siblings in my Dad's family of 13 children, and even though he and my Dad are many years apart, they remained quite close over the years due to the fact that they lived closer together than any of their other brothers or sisters.

My Uncle John and his wife lived in a suburb of Los Angeles for many years.  When my sister graduated from high school, my parents decided to take our whole family on a trip to California and we stayed with my Uncle John and his family for almost a month!  What a great month that was for three small town kids, we saw Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World, Universal Studios....things that we could only dream about seeing growing up in our little town in Northern BC!  It is one memory I will never forget!

My Uncle John was only too gracious in having us stay with his family and tirelessly worked to cook and feed us all while we were there.  I will never forget seeing him out in his garden every day watering plants and picking fresh fruit for us to eat, or getting up at 5:00 in the morning to start cooking breakfast for everyone.  He would no sooner have cleaned up the breakfast dishes when he would start preparing both lunch and dinner.  He was an amazing host and sincerely enjoyed having us there with him even though it meant so much more work for him.

My Uncle John, much like my beloved Grandma, had a very deep faith, and every night, without fail, would have a family devotion time which ended by singing the hymn "Abide With Me."  For as long as I live, every time I hear that song, I will think of my sweet Uncle John and remember how he thanklessly gave his life for his family in so many ways.  He will be greatly missed by his five daughters, my cousins, their children and my Dad.  He lived a wonderful life of serving others and I am very grateful to have had that time with him many years ago to get to know him better.  May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment