Sunday 27 April 2014

Magic


I often take a bit time to read back on past entries in this blog and marvel at how many magical times Sydney and I have had together over the past few years.  Magical moments often happen when I'm least expecting them and the fact that they are often unexpected is what makes them seem even more amazing.

Sometimes I go out of my way to try and create special and magical times with Sydney.  I was determined this year that I was going to have the most amazing trip with her to Disneyland, somewhere she has been asking to go for over a year and where I knew her dream of seeing the princesses up close and personal would be fulfilled.

So I planned the trip months ago, choosing the second week that she had off of school to go away.  I even invited Grandma to come along with us, could it get any better?

Well as it turns out sometimes life has a funny way of reminding us that magic doesn't always come along with the best laid plans.  At 2:00am the night before we flew out to LA, Sydney woke up in the night with a fever and really not feeling well.

We pressed on, hopeful that it was just a short lived little bug that was bothering her and that she would be feeling herself after a good night's rest the following night.

Sadly, poor Syd got progressively worse and worse until finally, on Thursday morning, we rushed off to the Children's Hospital of Orange County with her spiking a fever of over 105 degrees!


After much testing and waiting the doctor told us that she must have picked up a virus of some sort and that we would just have to wait for it to run it's course, trying our best to keep her fever down and as well hydrated as possible.  We rested up as much as we could before returning home the next day.

The good news is, we had one good day in Disneyland, the day before our hospital visit, where Sydney had the opportunity to meet the princesses that she had come so far to see, Cinderella, Aurora, Merida and her absolute favourite, Ariel.





We even had the good fortune of seeing Elsa and Anna from Frozen as they slipped through our restaurant as we were having lunch.

Sydney proudly got each princess to sign her autograph book, her most prized souvenir.

She loved riding the carousel the best and just being able to see the castle up close was so thrilling for us both.


I have to say that I was never so grateful to have my Mom with us, she is the first person that I want when things aren't right with the world and her presence meant the world to me as I was far away from home dealing with a very sick little girl.


One of my favourite memories of the trip was one night when the three of us snuggled up in bed together and watched an episode of Sydney's favourite TV show, '19 Kids and Counting'.

We tried our best to salvage as much of the trip as possible but are so looking forward to heading back under better circumstances another time.




I'm sure that the magic will be waiting for us when we get there......

No comments:

Post a Comment