Thursday 6 October 2011

Wine Bottling Party


When I was pregnant, I decided to start my maternity leave from work three months before Sydney's due date.  This gave me plenty of time to immerse myself in 'Mommy World' and one of the things that I spent a lot of time doing, was signing up for different weekly newsletters from numerous sites about parenting and child development. 

One of the websites that I quickly began to love was the Yummy Mummy Club.  This site was founded by Erica Ehm, and has such great bloggers, articles and advice along with awesome contests.

I enter a lot of contests but rarely win anything, so was thrilled this summer to hear from the gals at Yummy Mummy that I was one of a few moms in Vancouver that had won three free cases of wine from a local wine making shop, Broadway Brewing.  So a few months back, I took a trip down to the wine shop and chose the wine I wanted to make, sprinkled some yeast on the giant vat of grape juice and waited for a few months until it had turned into wine and was ready to bottle.


So last week, myself and ten other Moms got together for a wine bottling party at Broadway Brewing.  It was such a blast, there was food, and wine tasting and we worked together to bottle 360 bottles of wine in just a couple of hours.  At the end of the night, we each got to take home three cases of our own wine, which was marked with our own signature label bearing our name.

I made an Australian Cabernet-Shiraz blend.  I have to say that I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good this wine was for a 'home brew'!  It was quite palatable and will be great to have with dinners any day of the week!

A couple of the Moms that I met there and I did a little trading, I swapped a few of my bottles for some of theirs, so also have some Argentinian Malbec and a Valpolicella to try as well!


It was a super fun evening out, so nice to meet some other Moms and to come home with a few cases of wine to last me over the winter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment