Thursday 27 October 2011

What I Should Never Take For Granted


This week has been a great reminder about how much I should not take health, mine or those of the people I love, for granted.  On Monday, Sydney and I went over to visit my friend Sarah and her little girl Emma.  We took the girls to the park down the street and when the kids got back to Sarah's house they were covered in sand and mud from the park and made quite a mess of her foyer and stairs.  Shortly after we left, Sarah was vacuuming up the dirt on the stairs and accidentally tripped and fell down the stairs, severely spraining her ankle.

Poor Sarah has been hobbling around on crutches ever since while trying to chase after an active toddler.  Sydney and I were planning to spend some time this week with Sarah and Emma to keep Emma entertained and help out any way we could until this afternoon hit. 

All was going well this morning, Sydney and I met with a lovely lady who will be working as a Mother's Helper for me starting next week and then we headed off to preschool.  Sydney settled down really quickly in class and I spent another lovely hour and a half at Oakridge Centre getting groceries and doing a little shopping.  We came home for lunch and a nap and just as we were headed out the door to swimming lessons, Sydney had a major bout of diarrhea.  Such timing!  Needless to say, we didn't go swimming as I didn't want to risk it happening again in the pool!!

I was hoping and praying that it was just an isolated incident, but unfortunately a couple of hours later she had another bout and was feeling very feverish.  We put her to bed with some Tylenol after a warm bath and are hoping for the best tonight.

I have been in denial for the past few days as well that I am coming down with something myself, have felt something sinister settling in my chest for a few days and have been coughing on and off.  This is really not great timing with all of the birthday parties and Halloween coming up!! 

So all of this is to say that I got to thinking today that health is really something that we should never take for granted, I am left wishing for the gift of an ordinary day after the events of this week!

Here's wishing you good health in great measures!

No comments:

Post a Comment