Wednesday 12 October 2011

Making Friends with My Crockpot

 
I have to say that dinner time is not always my best time of day.  When Sydney was a little baby 5:00-7:00pm was always her fussy time, and to this day it remains her least favourite time of day.  Not the best time for her to be melting down and clinging to me like a koala bear just as Daddy's arriving home from work ready to play with her and I'm trying to get dinner made and have a few moments to myself!

In complaining about this to other Moms in the past, I have often been given the advice that I should make friends with my crockpot and get something together in the morning when Sydney's feeling great and then come dinner time it will be all cooked and ready to go and I can focus on Sydney during those hours when she really needs me.  Every so often I really get my act together and get organized enough to do this, and today was one of those days.


I found a roast in the deep freeze that I had forgotten I had, so I pulled it out and defrosted it and put it in the crockpot this morning to make the most delicious shredded beef.  It cooked for 10 hours in total and was melt-in-your mouth goodness by the time it was done!  I served it on fresh kaiser buns with a side dish of Parmesan crusted potatoes and got rave reviews from the boys, I will definitely be making this dinner again!

Here's the recipe that I got online from Elly Says Opa!  Try it, it's delicious!

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef

2 LB boneless beef roast
1 TBSP canola oil
1 onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 TBSP tomato paste (I used ketchup!)
3/4 cup beef broth
1/2 tsp parsley
2 tsps chili powder
1.5 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano

Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat and add the oil.  Sprinkle the beef roast liberally with salt and pepper.  Once the oil is hot, add the roast to the pan and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.  Place in the crockpot.

To the pan add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes before stirring in garlic and tomato paste.  After another minute, stir in the beef broth and spices.  Scrape up any browned bits and then pour the seasoned broth and onions over the top of the roast.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Shred with a couple of forks.  Serve with tacos or on buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment