Sunday 12 May 2013

Why I Love Being a Mom


In the days leading up to Mother's Day I have been spending some time thinking about how much my life has changed over the past four years or so since I first found out that I was going to be a Mom.  I can honestly and wholeheartedly say that I love being a Mom so much.  I was destined to be a Momma, ever since I was a little girl I dreamed of having a baby of my own and there are days I still can't believe that I have her!

Being a Mom has taught me so many things and enriched my life in ways that are hard to express.  When I think of all of the things in my life that bring me the most joy, nearly all of them stem from Sydney.  I am so blessed to have so many amazing friends in my life, all Moms with kids the same age as mine.  It seems strange to think that if I hadn't become a Mom at the exact point that I did that none of these incredible people would be in my life.


For as many challenges as the days with a young child can present, there are so many things that I love about being a Mom.  I love waking up in the morning to Sydney's sweet voice, the way she snuggles into me for a cuddle, the sweet conversations we have throughout the day about things both trivial and important.  I love working together with her to complete projects or get a task done.  I love being in the kitchen together and seeing how happy it makes her to legitimately help me get dinner together.  I love how much she loves me.  I know that sounds funny, but in all the world there is not one other person that loves me with such raw, pure intensity as Sydney does.  Except my own Mom, of course.


And speaking of which, what would Mother's Day be without a tribute to the woman who I call Mom, my very own sweet mother.  I am blessed to have such a loving, strong, loyal and hardworking Mom who loves us beyond measure.  I can only hope that I can be as good a Mom to Syd as she was to me.  Thank you Mom for your unfailing love, for every little thankless thing that you did for me when I was a little girl and for always being there for us with a listening ear and a tender heart!  We love you!


We had a full and fun day today!  Our friends Mike and Sarah came over to share a very special Mother's Day brunch with us this morning.  Sarah and I have so bonded over our similar experience with motherhood so it felt very fitting to spend the day with her!

We drank mimosas, ate scones and fruit and a lovely crustless quiche, chatted and had a great visit.  It was fantastic!

Sarah brought me a beautiful french linen apron today along with a homemade card from Emma, love it!



After brunch we headed over to Bubbie's house to spend some time with her.  It is our Mother's Day tradition to bring her a huge bouquet of lilacs, one of her favourite flowers.  This year we managed to find the most fragrant white and lavender lilacs.  She loved them!


Paul pulled out Zachary's old Tonka firetruck for Syd today, she absolutely loved it! 


We topped the day off with a fantastic steak dinner at home with Zach tonight.  It was a great day and I was so glad to be able to spend the entire day with my girl just enjoying being her Momma!


Happy Mother's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment