Sunday 1 April 2012

Moving Day

 
This weekend has been a busy one helping Paul's son Zach get packed and organized and moved into his new apartment.  It has been a while since I have moved and I had forgotten how much work it is packing and boxing and unpacking and sorting out all the logistics of how to get from Point A to Point B.  In the end, most of his stuff got moved and he spent his first night ever overnight last night.  Very exciting! 

Poor Syd isn't sure what to make of all of this.  She woke up this morning to Zach's room missing a bed and half the stuff that she usually plays around with in there.  Throughout the day she kept spontaneously saying "Zach's bed, new apartment."  I think she was trying to process it all!


Helping Zach sort and pack stuff over the past week has gotten me into a spring cleaning mood.  I have been sorting through cupboards and closets and rearranging and organizing things that haven't been touched since Syd's been born.  It feels good!  I was starting to feel as though I was drowning in stuff around here, so it sure feels nice to have a good cleanse and get rid of all the cumbersome stuff cluttering up the house!  I have a giant bag to give away to Big Brothers and a bag of fun clothes, shoes and handbags and miscellaneous baby things to pass along to my cousins.  I still have lots to sort through, but will spend the next few weeks continuing to spring clean!

Now that Zach's room is empty, I am converting it into an upstairs office for myself.  I am so excited to have a room that will be all mine, complete with scrapbooking and craft table, desk, computer and stacks and stacks of books that have been packed away for years proudly displayed on a bookshelf!  It will be a fun project getting all of the finishing touches together for the room in the coming weeks!

I tried a new recipe for dinner tonight, Black Pepper Chicken.  It was super simple to make and can be adapted in a million different ways as the sauce lends itself to almost any vegetable combination.  I used celery, orange bell pepper and baby corn but you could add cashews, snow peas, carrots, broccoli....use your imagination!  I doubled the amount of sauce as well as I love having extra for my rice.


Here's the recipe.  One word of warning, it is a super spicy dish, so if you don't want it like a fireball, reduce the amount of pepper a bit!

Black Pepper Chicken

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
6 TBSP cornstarch
1 white onion, diced
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
2 TBSP vegetable oil
 Sauce:

1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1.5 tsp black pepper
1 tsp rice wine

Mix together all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  Cut chicken into 1/2" cubes and dust chicken pieces with cornstarch until fully coated.  Fry chicken in batches in a wok until golden brown.  Add vegetables and stir fry for 4-5 minutes until they are tender.  Add sauce mixture to the wok and heat until bubbling.  Serve with white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment