Wednesday 29 July 2015

Summer Time


Last night before Sydney went to bed she had one special request.  Our usual routine is to play a game together and read a book, or one chapter in a book as it has been this summer.  Yesterday she asked me if, instead of doing games and books, could she please read my blog? 

I instantly felt convicted.  This past year, since Sydney's started Kindergarten, my routines have changed and I really have not been diligent about updating this space the way that I should.  So let it be known that I am putting my intentions out there of posting more, taking more photos and sharing my life here once again!  This blog has become a precious journal of our lives and I love that Sydney wants to read back and take a glimpse into what we were doing at any given point in time.

Summer has been so much busier than I imagined it a few months back.  Every day seems to hold something pressing that needs to be done.  We have had three getaways, Suncadia, Whistler and Disneyland all of which were amazing trips.  The weather has been incredible in Vancouver, hot and dry for weeks on end, it feels like living in California!  We are in fact on strict water restrictions around here because it hasn't rained in so long.  Feels very different from the Vancouver we typically know and love!


Sydney has been spending a couple of afternoons a week with Sophie, a grade twelve student from her school that is working as our part time summer nanny, which has given me time to get in my fitness and have a little time to myself and Paul and I a few evenings together too.  She and Sophie have such a wonderful time together doing crafts, going to the park and hanging out.  It's been great for both of us!

We have started a few home improvement projects too so much of my energy has been spent managing those and making sure that everything is done as it is meant to be.  Last week we had the lighting in our kitchen updated and this week we are having new hardwood flooring in our formal living room and dining room and Paul's den.  It's exciting to see things come together and I am learning to embrace the chaos that is our home these days!


This past Sunday I achieved a goal that has been months in the works.  Angela, Susan and I ran our first ever 10K distance together after months of Sunday mornings working up to that distance.  We treated ourselves to a massage at the spa and lunch out afterwards.  It was a great day indeed!

This week Sydney is doing Pony Camp at Southlands Farm with her friends Emma and Kristin.  It has been such fun for her riding horses every day and enjoying the farm with the girls.

My dear friend Janice and her family have been in town the past few days.  We met up with them at our mutual friend Georgina's house a few days ago for lunch and then yesterday Janice and I spent a precious few hours together over coffee one on one just catching up and having a heart to heart.  It was such great time together, made me ache for her to be closer so we can do it more often!

This past Saturday we held a garage sale to try and clear out some furniture and smaller items, plus stuff from Paul's Mom's house that we had.  It was a successful day and I am happy to say that our garage is looking neater than ever!  We even classed it up a bit by hanging our extra crystal chandelier in the window.  I love that I can look out into my backyard and see it hanging there now!


I am so looking forward to another six weeks of summer together with Syd.  We have a few more adventures planned and are hoping to enjoy a bit of what the city has to offer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment