Friday 18 January 2013

Retail Therapy


One of the things that I truly do love about January are all of the post-Christmas sales.  I have been itching to do some shopping for the longest time, so this week while Sydney was at school I decided to take a trip out to Richmond Centre to give my credit card a little workout.

I had such fun wandering through the mall looking at all of the great sales and only had to stop because my arms were aching from carrying so many bags!  It was positively therapeutic.  I love the thrill of getting great deals on things I love, never gets old!

I hit up my new favourite store for fun, trendy clothes that doesn't break the bank, Forever 21.  Came away with a couple of great sweaters, a super cute red wool coat and some cozy new slipppers.





Got Sydney a couple of things I knew she'd love too, two Hello Kitty shirts and a water bottle to match!  She is so into Hello Kitty right now, it makes it super easy to shop for her!


Syd has developed this funny idiosyncrasy about the tags on her clothes, she insists that I cut the tags off of literally everything that she is wearing!  She really hates them and will often squeal, "Mom, this tag is bugging me!"  She has even started noticing tags on other things, like her stuffed animals and insists that I cut them off too, it's pretty funny!

Sydney is also really into grouping like things together as well, it is a developmental milestone that I had been looking for for a while, and she is definitely there!  She really is into her marbles right now.  We were at the toy store this week and I let her pick out a new bag of marbles to take home.  She promptly added them to the tin where we keep them and then sorted them all out according to colour.  It's pretty neat to see the way her mind works!


Syd's love of helping me in the kitchen is never waning.  She is always wanting to help me chop things and I had been looking around for a knife that I could give her that she could use safely without worry about chopping a finger off!  So this week while I was out shopping I found a plastic lettuce knife that is sharp enough to cut through most softer fruits and vegetables, but won't break skin if she slips with it.  She is pretty thrilled to have her own special knife and to be able to help me chop things while we make dinner!


The other really cool thing that Sydney and I have been doing together lately is playing board games.  Her attention span has increased greatly and we can get through a few rounds of a simple board game before she is ready to move on  to another activity.  We got three games for Sydney's birthday and I picked another one up this week, a Hello Kitty pop up game.  She has great fun 'popping' the dice in the little dome in the middle.


Paul and I were just commenting the other day about how much older Sydney suddenly seems.  The conversations that we are having with her are astonishing sometimes, she is so aware of the world around her and how it works and the interconnectedness of it all.  It is amazing to be on the sidelines watching her grow and develop and become this little person all her own.  That precious little babe that I used to cradle in my arms seems like a distant memory these days!


No comments:

Post a Comment